The day of Ashura marks a day of where several significant events took place in Islamic history.
- Allah blessed Prophet Adam عليه السلام on this day by accepting his forgiveness.
- Allah saved Prophet Nuh عليه السلام on this day by landing his Ark peacefully.
- Allah saved Prophet Ibrahim عليه السلام from the tyrant Nimrod on this day.
- Allah united Prophet Yaqoob عليه السلام with his son Prophet Yusuf عليه السلام on this day.
- Allah gave victory to Prophet Musa عليه السلام and split the Red sea for him to allow the Israelites to pass through safely and defeated Pharoah.
- Allah pardoned Prophet Daud عليه السلام on this day.
- Allah granted Prophet Sulaiman عليه السلام with a great kingdom on this day.
- Allah brought Prophet Yunus عليه السلام out of the stomach of the whale on this day.
- Allah cured Prophet Ayub عليه السلام on this day.
- The beloved grandson of the Prophet صل الله عليه وسلم, Imam Hussain was martyred on this day.
The story of Imam Hussain
Hussain ibn Ali, Prophet Muhammad’s (pbuh) grandson, grew up witnessing his society’s moral decline after his grandfather passed away. Several civil wars had fractured the nation and paved the way for oppressive leaders to cease control.
One such leader, Yazid, ruled with immoral and corrupt intentions. Due to Hussain’s reputation, he tried to get him on board with his selfish interests. Imam Hussain rejected this.
Instead, Imam Hussain chose to make an ultimate stand for justice against Yazid. He, along with a handful of companions took off and journeyed through Kufa to Karbala.
Imam Hussain’s army consisted of 70, and the opposition thousands. It was a certain defeat.
Imam Hussain remained steadfast in his decision; he didn’t want anyone to be hurt but knew he had to take a stand against the oppressive leader. He told his companions they were free to leave, but they all stood with him until the end.
In the battle of Karbala, Imam Hussain, his family and all those who stood against Yazid were slain. It was a great and violent tragedy.
However, through this tragedy, the story of Imam Hussain was spoken of across the land and shook the Ummah. His actions sparked others to uprise against the corrupt regime, which ultimately led to Yazid’s demise.
Ashura is a day that is remembered by all Muslims, Shia and Sunni alike. Sunni’s often fast on this day to honour the important date, and many perform acts of kindness and charity to keep the same principles and values that Hussain gave his life for.
Shia’s often see Ashura as a day of pensive thought and mourning for the loss of Imam Hussain, as well as remembering his integrity, honour and morality against evil.