- Contract (12-months initially)
We are looking to recruit a Magazine Editor with outstanding writing, editing and creative skills. The ideal candidate will have fantastic planning, organisational and staff management skills with the ability to work comfortably under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
To ensure success, the Editor should demonstrate a superb command of English with a keen interest in shaping our magazine to distinguish the content to our target audience. The ideal candidate will display a great understanding of target audiences and exhibit remarkable negotiation and decision-making skills.
Key responsibilities include:
- Devising themes for the online magazine.
- Networking with UK organisations and individuals to identify positive news stories affecting UK Muslims.
- Contacting and developing links with new and existing writers; develop a pool of good writers and reporters.
- Receiving contributions and unedited material.
- Writing/commissioning articles to fill in gaps in content as well as regular columns (including editorial).
- Delegating some editing work to volunteer Sub-editors for all sections.
- Working alongside the designer to commission creatives for the magazine and social media.
- Promoting the Invitation across social media channels and growing the readership.
- Customising the layout based on the template provided by Designer, including adding titles, lead-in text, sub-headings and space for visual headers/images.
- Arranging content within the magazine to fit the theme and requirements of space.
- Editing all articles to correct mistakes and to reflect ‘The Invitation’ style and content guidelines (including checking through editing done by Sub-editors and altering where required).
- Finalising and approving the articles.
- Ensuring a regular stream of articles is posted every week.
- Reporting to management on a regular basis.
Salary: £17,000 – £22,000 (depending on experience)
To apply please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: As an organisation, we have a legal responsibility to ensure that all our employees have the legal right to live and work in the UK. Therefore, if you are made an offer of employment, this will be subject to the organisation verifying that you are eligible to work in the UK before you start work.