Associate editors are volunteers, so they receive no financial compensation.
The associate editors are experts and workers from different fields: Islamic studies, community, science, medicine, sisters, poetry, sports.
Associate editors are selected for expertise and will be a member of the advisory board. Performance as a manuscript reviewer, expertise, and quality of articles submitted in the past are considered when board members are to be invited. We will maintain a fair balance of gender and ethnicity, professions and availability to attend annual meetings.
Personnel specifications of an associate editor
1. General Skills and Expertise
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- To be thorough and pay attention to detail.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- The ability to work well with others.
- To be flexible and open to change.
2. Writing and Editing Skills, must be able to write:
- Clear, Concise, and Simple Prose. …
- With Grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Writing for the magazine readers
- With Creativity
- And Proofread articles accurately
Meetings of the Associate Editors
- A monthly meeting of 90 minutes
- Regular interaction with the editor and other staff
- Annual weekend retreat to brainstorm as a group and work on issues of policy.
Editors-in-chief Dr Musharraf Hussain OBE gives overall guidance. His major responsibility is communicating with editorial-board members and evaluating their performance.
Time commitment of the Associate Editor (AE)
We are conscious of the time constraint on our busy AE. We appreciate they are volunteers, so we expect minimum of three articles per month, each article 300-900 words with one or two photos. The AE either writes the articles or gets friends and others to write it for their section. So, we expect 10-12 hours/month or three hours per week maximum.
If you believe you have got what it takes to be an Associate Editor and have a genuine desire to make a real difference to the state of the UK Muslim community, we want to hear from you. Please see the job description here.
Contact us today by email at email@example.com